Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2013

What Did You Say?


The Sixthers in Room 208 sure can walk the walk and talk the talk but when it came to actually correctly punctuating their interesting dialogue...well, not so much. There was that moment where all time stopped, the room started spinning, and lights were flashing in my mind. I realized - yikes, they are not doing this correctly!   Not to worry, I did a re-teach, we worked with a partner to punctuate made up on the spot sentences, and the next day we took a "quiz" together. The students decided it would be much more fun to stand up and make all the "teacher hand motions" (as one sweetie called the frantic waving of my arms and hands when indicating comma, question, exclamation, and quote marks).  In the end, it stuck and they are well on their way to Proper Punctuation of Dialogue.  You can have a free copy of the  QUIZ here   and a free copy of the Powerpoint here .    I hope they help your budding writers as much as it helped mine!